If you have every wondered how to find out your girlfriend’s ring size, then this is for you.
Buying a diamond is a scary and exciting time for you and your fiancé. Scary, because this might be the first time and you are not too sure what to do, unless this is wedding number 2 or more. Exciting because, if it is your first time, then you are taking a major step and making a very serious and incredible commitment with your partner.
However, if this is not an engagement ring, and maybe you are getting a gift for a birthday or anniversary, then no worries as the same process can be used to find out the ring size.
At this point you should have an idea of the following items before taking the next step to determining ring size:
What metal will please my girlfriend?
- Important because the colour of the metal will need to match the rest of your girlfriend’s jewellery. You do not want a situation where she wears yellow gold and you present a silver ring.
What stone is going to be perfect for my girlfriend?
- If it is an engagement ring then you should look to go with a classic stone such as a diamond. If it is a gift, or an anniversary present, you still can’t go wrong with a diamond. If you are unsure, then drop a few hints through questioning.
How I’m going to propose or give the ring to my girlfriend?
- Crucial for both options as this is what will be talked about to your friends, family and at any other social engagement. Opting for a sentimental occasion and setting will always be a winning choice.
So we have the basics out of the way, now about how to find your girlfriend’s ring size. There are essentially 2 routes you can choose here:
- This is the easier of the 2 options. Borrow an existing ring from your girlfriend and take it to your preferred jeweler. There, the jeweler will take the ring and place it on a measuring device (these devices vary rom one jeweler to the next). The ring size will then be determined.
- Of course you need to make sure you do not alarm your girlfriend by borrowing one of her more popular rings. But because the borrowed ring will be in your care for a day, it will not easily be noticed to be missing.
- This will take a little more effort on your part because you will need to measure the ring yourself. Obviously make sure your girlfriend is not in the house at the same time so you have the chance to do this.
- Take one of your girlfriend’s rings and put it on your smallest finger, where it can fit as normal as a ring should (even if you have large fingers). Make a mark on either sides of the ring. Then go to the jeweler and inform them of the marks that you have made and you can determine the size from there.
What you need to be aware of is that you may not get the ring size completely spot-on because our fingers will swell and reduce in size throughout the day and week. The best tip here is to go half a ring size up because it is easier to reduce the ring after it has been created than the other way round.
Now that you have the tips on how to find out your girlfriend’s ring size, you can take the next step with confidence and enjoy the process.