Jewellery is expensive in general, but the following are the most expensive diamond rings in the world!
If you thought you were going to break the bank for your partner’s engagement ring of a mere R50 000, these prices will make you feel much better about your expectations.
The following diamond rings are well-known as the most expensive in the world:
- The ring that sold for the highest recorded price had a large five carat pink diamond flanked by two smaller white diamonds set into a gold band. This ring sold for a whopping 10.8 million dollars at a jewellery auction in Hong Kong by Christie’s.
- A vivid blue six carat diamond ring is next on the list. This teardrop shaped stone was set into a platinum band and the blue diamond was flanked by smaller white diamonds. The ring was sold by Sotheby’s for just under 8 million dollars, not far off the first ring!
- The next most expensive ring is an oval cut pure white diamond ring. This gorgeous ring has a central oval cut ring weighing 46.51 carats and is flanked by smaller diamonds along the band in both directions. The ring itself is made from platinum and sold for 4.2 million dollars at a Christie’s sale in New York.
- The De Beers platinum diamond ring, which boasts a nine carat white diamond set into a polished platinum ring, was sold for just under 2 million dollars.
- The Novo Yellow Diamond ring is next in line at 1.35 million dollars. This diamond ring boasts a large yellow diamond weighing 25.27 carats. The special colour makes this ring a rarity and it was sold by Tiffany’s.
- The Elisabeth Taylor diamond ring has a central diamond weighing 5.98 carats and several flanking diamonds weighing in at 3.96 carats. This ring used to belong to the actress and is priced at 1.3 million dollars.
What makes a diamond ring expensive?
There are several factors that influence the worth and price of a particular diamond ring. The following are just some of these factors:
- The clarity of the diamond
- The type of diamond
- The size of the diamond
- The colour of the diamond
- The way the diamond is cut
- The flanking diamonds
- The material that the band is made out of
- The design and the designer
Other wildly expensive diamond rings belonged to the following well-known celebrities and historical figures:
- Jennifer Lopez
- Kim Kardashian
- Jacky Kennedy
- Paris Hilton
- Melania Knauss
- Catherine Zeta Jones
- Angelina Jolie
- Halle Berry
- Jessica Simpson
- Britney Spears
- Drew Barrymore
- Victoria Beckham
- Kate Middleton
- Nicole Kidman
- Cheryl Cole
Some of the companies who sell the most expensive diamond rings include the following:
- De Beers
- Graff Diamonds
How to find the right diamond ring for you
If you are looking to purchase a diamond ring, you will undoubtedly want to find one that is beautiful, good quality and that does not break your budget. Although there are some very expensive items of jewellery in the world, there are ways to find great diamond rings at good prices.
Use the following tips and tricks to find great rings at good prices:
Wait for end of season and clearance sales
Peruse discount websites like Groupon and City Dealz
Shop at second hand stores, pawn shops and auctions
Have an old ring re-designed into a beautiful new set
Buy a ring with a store account (this way, you will have a manageable monthly payment but you will still be able to afford a great ring)
If you are buying the diamond ring for someone else as a present or as an engagement ring, it is even more important that you find a good quality ring and that you choose one that you partner or friend will like.
Make sure you know what sort of ring, what colouring and what stone is right and ask for a second opinion wherever possible.